Friday 28 September 2012

Full Tummy Blogging

What I've been up to this week - a heap of bag "kits" ready to be made up.
About 4 years ago, we were in the middle of a whole lot of things going on in this house.  My lovely hubby was in his final year completing a degree in Youth work (actually it had a much more fancy title than that which more truly represents the depth of what he was studying, but I can never remember it!) as a mature student.  We had 3 children under the age of 6 and I was well on my way to number 4. (Noah was born a couple of months after J finished his course.)  We had dedicated the tiniest bedroom in the house to study and we spent many many days with J hidden away at the top of the house, head in book and me downstairs, amusing 3 boys who desperately wanted to go spend Saturday with Daddy.  Around this time, J also moved from a job he had been in for 13 years, since he left school, into a new job.  Scary stuff.  Boy were we tired!

In the middle of all this I was listening to Woman's hour one day and heard about Jane Brocket and her wonderful blog, Yarnstorm.  For a few precious minutes each day, whenever I was allowed the time, I would sneak up to the study and sit amongst books about educational theory and Sexual Health training and gaze at the computer screen, completely absorbed in the colourful world of this creative person, who I felt was completely on the same wavelength as me.  I know this makes me sound very ignorant, but I had hardly heard of blogs and understood their potential before this point and I can say now, that finding this wonderful retreat was one of the things which got me through that challenging year.  It was also the inspiration for me to start this blog.  So, thank you Jane.


I was considering this morning how the blogasphere has exploded and how you can now find a blog about any subject you can imagine and how for us crafty types this is a massive blessing and source of inspiration.  When you are a mum at home with children, like I am currently and you feel like the walls are closing in (some days, not all), these blogs provide an open door to the world outside and the let colours flood in.


So, I thought as it's Friday and you may actually get a few moments to yourself over the next couple of days, I would share a few of my favourite retreats with you.


Anna Maria Horner is my go to blogger for an instant injection of colour and pattern.  She's an expert at combining designs to create a heady patchwork world of leopard print next to paisley, next to polka dot, next to peacock feathers.  A true artist and thinker, Anna manages to imbue her designs (she is predominantly a textile designer) with the Spirit of Creativity.  She's a constant inspiration to me, not only as a crafts person, but as a Mother.  She often brings me to tears. Have a look at her blog this weekend and you'll find writing and pictures that may make you do the same.



Lucy at Attic 24.  What can I say - if you haven't visited her yet....why not?!!!  I found her shortly after I found Jane Brocket and she is the main reason I finally learnt to crochet after all these years!  If you don't crochet - visit her blog and I challenge you to come away not wanting to learn.  Lucy is another Mum, and I love to read about her littlies - they remind me so much of my own. If you are after a dreamy escape with plenty of "oooooh!"-worthy pictures thrown in, this is the place for you.  Lucy's cheerfulness shines through and the way she picks out the beauty in every day things never fails to pick me up.


It also helps that she comes from my beloved Yorkshire and many of the pictures set me craving for a Dales fix.



This lovely lady is also responsible (in part, I am sure she would have me say) for the renewed interest in kaleidoscopic colour and even has quite a few shops offering "Lucy of Attic 24" style yarn combinations.  Yummy. Have a cup of tea and a browse.


One of Lucy's friends, Tracy has also recently started a blog and it's well worth heading over to sigh over her beautiful applique and utterly squeal-worthy hand made rabbits.  They each come with a little crochet jumper and clothes made form Liberty fabrics.  What more could you want?


While we're on the subject, Little Cotton Rabbits is beautiful.  I don't knit....my little brain only has room for crochet, so I am in total awe of the creations this lady makes.


 This is a soft, wrap you up in heavenly colours and cosy things blog.  Julie writes with honesty and gentleness about bringing up her children, one of whom is severely Autistic and being creative in the midst of this.  I admit that I sometimes pop over to her blog just to soak up the deliciousness of those little bunnies and end up reading post after post with tears rolling down my cheeks.


 It's a beautiful place to be and exemplifies the best of the blog world - knowing that someone is allowing you to glimpse their life and share their story, and feeling that you have come away richer.


If you're in love with all things Vintage, like i am - a happy place to be is Teawagon Tales.  I just adore the colours here.  There is a very soothing - everything is all right with the world feel to this blog and sometimes that's all that will do.



Pictures of restored teawagons, Dolly 1 and 2 and numerous vintage finds, plus the story of her shed - to -studio space make my heart ache.  That's a good thing.  Honestly.


Nanacompany is a fairly new find.  Amy is another hugely talented mum, whose pactchwork and quilting are a breath of fresh air.  This is all brightness, cheeriness and open skies.  None of your mustiness and faded colour here.  This blog is total sweetness.  It oozes with a generosity of spirit and delicious photos of all her latest projects (where does she find the time with 3 children?!!!).


Beautiful tutorials and lots of inspiration and a comforting appreciation of family.  Have a peek and I'm sure you'll want to grab your pincushion and scraps.


I think what makes me go back to a blog time after time is the human story.  I have realised that going through my 200 or so long roll of bookmarked pages. (oooops!) The ones that stand out to me are the ones where I feel I know or can get to know the person behind the gorgeous photos.  Don't get me wrong, I love a bit of crafty eye-candy, so there are times when I just want to see what people have made and get inspired.  I'm finding I use Pinterest more and more for this though.  Blogs to me are about finding other kindred spirits.  People you can make a connection with, even if you never meet them.  It's about feeling richer than you were, like you have had a good, tasty meal.  Not fast food.  That's good for 5 minutes, but you are hungry again half an hour later.  I hope this little lot will fill you up.

Open the door to the world and let the colour in.

xxxxxxx

P.S.  I LOVE it when you comment and let me know what you think - I'd love it if you share your favourite blogs with me too.  If you have trouble doing that - I know a few of you did last time, when it gets to the choosing a profile bit, scroll down to Anonymous and if you want to leave your name, put it into the comment.  Hope that helps. xx

4 comments:

  1. Naomi, this is how reading your blog makes me feel. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very lovely to be included in your list, I am very honoured, thank you...your blog and creations are lovely and I know what you mean about getting a Yorkshire fix from Lucy's blog :) have a lovely weekend xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. As my Nana would say, F.U.F.T.B. Full up, fit to burst!! :o) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely blog. I shall be returning in the morning with a mug tea and plan to get lost in blog as I explore more of your blog and some the links above that I haven't heard of.
    That's me sorted til lunch time :-)
    Susan
    x

    ReplyDelete