Thursday 2 February 2012

A Legacy of Posies


When I was growing up, we always had little posies of flowers round the house.  My Dad took great pleasure in picking his first Fuchsia or sweet pea of the year for my mum.   My mum loved to find tiny flowers to fill a little jug for the table or windowsill.


When I returned from University on one of my weekend visits, there would always be a pretty little vessel of flowers on my bedside table to welcome me home.  Always.  Depending on the time of year, it would either be a colourful display of roses, petals scattered on the surrounding surface and scent filling the air, or in the leaner months of winter, a little bunch of seed heads and greenery. It was a message - "Welcome home.  We've missed you and we think you're wonderful." 


I think my parents were of the opinion that even a splash of green was better than no living thing present in a room to remind you of the vast world outside.
Flowers have always played such an important and special part of my life, from these every day memories, to the bouquet of homegrown flowers from Dad's garden I carried on my wedding day - picked by myself and my bridesmaids that morning.

I wasn't as scared as I look, honest!
The flower filled marquee we got married in - and I mean filled to the brim!  I think the whole town emptied their gardens!


The dress I decorated with hand painted vows and flowers.


And from the field of flowers that filled our house when our eldest son was born, to the simple bunch of first of Spring daffs that kept us company in some of the most difficult hours, reminding us that life goes on.

I so wanted our garden here to offer opportunities for year round picking - nothing fancy - I can be creative, even with the scantest of blooms.  So, I crept outside this morning in the absolute chill - the ground crunching under my feet, and found just a few little things to fill my new jug - bought on our last trip to Bath.
It's a tiny thing, but in so many ways, I feel like it's part of my heritage.  I feel like I am carrying on an important family tradition.  And very time I do it, it reminds me that life goes on and we are surrounded by such beauty, if we just stoop to notice it.


One day, I hope my boys will likewise gather tiny posies to bring into their homes to admire and bring cheer.

No comments:

Post a Comment