Tuesday 19 July 2011

Once in a while something lovely comes along....



Every now and again, life throws you a little treat - just for you. Most of the time, it's not the most expensive thing, often it comes completely free. In this case, life threw me something I had held a hidden longing for since I was about 8. When we moved from Yorkshire to Sussex in my childhood, my precious doll's house did not make the moving van. My dad had made it for me and I can picture it now (although I am still hoping to one day come across an actual photo of it). It was white, with an open front and my mum had painted a swirly clock on the front. I think subconsciously I have been recreating this house ever since I lost it;


- in pictures and pixie houses

and in my little row of houses in my room.

It was the classic child's idea of a house and oh, how I loved it.

Anyway, my lovely neighbour, whilst clearing out his garage came across a doll's house that his wife had retrieved. Joan was a beautiful friend, gentle and kind and she treasured the simple, wonderful things of life like no one else I know. Eric offered the house to me and after weeks of trying to set a time to go get it,we finally caught each other the other day. Oh, my goodness - can you imagine how thrilled I was?! I mean - look at it!!!!



There is something so special about a miniature house and this one is all ready for me to make my own. It's blank, pretty much - completely unadorned, but beautifully proportioned. I promise you this won't become a Doll's House blog - but I hope you don't mind me sneaking in a few photos along the way as I decorate this lovely object. I am thinking at the moment to keep it simple, but nostalgic. I don't want it too fussy or frilly, but definitely girly. Any ideas? I think I may have to make a little family to live in it too! Can you tell I am excited?

No comments:

Post a Comment